Do you have a learning difficulty or disability? If the answer is yes then you can apply for Disabled Student Allowance. The grants help meet the needs of individual students and support them through their course. They are not based on income but individual needs, and are paid to the supplier of support and equipment provider.
Support could be from specialist tutors and/or assistive technology, for example:
- Specialist software such as ‘Read’ and ‘Write Gold’, which helps with proof reading or ‘Dragon’, which is speech to text software
- One to one support
- Specialist support
Six simple steps to apply for DSA:
- Fill in the application form – If you have completed an application form for Student Finance England and indicated that you want to apply for Disabled Student Allowance, they will send an application form to you. Or you can download a form from here
You must provide written evidence of your difficulty/disability from a professional to support your application. As soon as you have accepted your place at university you can apply for DSA.
- Find out if you qualify – Student Finance England will assess your application and send a letter to let you know if you qualify.
- Attend a needs assessment – If you are eligible for Disabled Student Allowance you will need to arrange a needs assessment to identify the support available to you.
- Receive your needs report – You will be sent a report which identifies the equipment and other support you will need, how much it will cost and where to get it from.
- Find out what the DSA can pay for – Your funding body will send you a letter to tell you whether any equipment and other support that has been recommended in your needs assessment can be paid for from DSAs. You will also be given instructions on how to order equipment or arranging other support.
- Receive your support – Your funding will be paid direct to the supplier of the equipment or service.
The Learning and Development team can help you with this process and provide you with one to one specialist support please contact us via email to dsa@brooksbymelton ac uk