Students will have the opportunity to study a wide variety of modules, allowing them to develop their understanding of the industry, gain new skills and expand their knowledge. Learners also have the chance to undertake work experience in the Animal Management sector.
The Animal Management sector is diverse and employment opportunities require students to be multi-skilled, independent thinkers and problem solvers.
- Year 1: 72 UCAS points. Level 3 Extended Diploma in a vocationally relevant subject or 3 A Levels (preferably 1 in a Science subject). Industry experience required.
- Year 2: 120 Credits at Level 4/Year 1 in relevant subject. A bridging assignment may be required.
Year 1 Modules
- Animal Science
- Animal Behaviour and Comparative Psychology
- Research Skills
- Animal Management and Welfare
- Principles of Animal Health
- Human and Animal Interaction
- Natural History, Evolution and Domestication
Year 2 Modules
- Animal Nutrition and Biochemistry
- Research Methods on Topical Issues
- Wildlife Management and Ecology
- Industry Experience
- Animal Learning and Training
- Animal Law and Ethics
- Mammalian Breeding and Genetics
Students are able to progress onto a top-up course in Animal Management to complete their degree.
- A wide range of animals to work with, including domestic and companion animals, reptiles, amphibians and aquatics, horses and farm livestock.
- Industry-standard equipment, including an aqua treadmill and science laboratories.
- On-site kennel and cattery units.
- Opportunities to work with other course areas and take advantage of their facilities, such as Equine Performance Science and the Brooksby Equestrian Centre.
- On-site accommodation, including free gym membership.
- Situated on a beautiful, 850-acre estate in the heart of Leicestershire.
£7,500 per year
“I started at BMC 5 years ago doing my Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management and I fell in love with the College, the facilities and the staff. I applied to numerous universities and was accepted into all of them; I actually left BMC for another university but three days into my degree I came back! I missed the College too much: BMC had become a home from home for me. The level of support that I received from the tutors was unbelievable and you honestly couldn’t get it from anywhere else. No matter how many times I asked a question or questioned my own capabilities, the tutors were there for me, motivating me and believing in me! They don’t just care about your grades, you are more than just a statistic to them. They constantly made sure we as students were okay and coping with the degree as well as helping with any problems I was facing outside of college. I have never experienced this level of support anywhere else.
The modules within the degree were varied and I most enjoyed the Animal Rehabilitation and Education modules. The tutors taught these subjects fantastically and they were paired with practical sessions which helped my understanding. I also had the opportunity to visit South Africa twice, and both trips truly were life changing experiences that I wouldn’t have been able to have if it weren’t for BMC!
I am currently studying my PGCE at BMC, and I work as a Training Officer in the Foundation department. My job is so rewarding and I love giving back what I received at BMC; not only is it a fantastic place to study but it’s also a wonderful place to work!”
Tessa Smithson – BSc (Hons) Animal Management (Science & Welfare) Graduate
Want to know more? Come along to a BMC Open Event!
Our Undergraduate Open Events give you an opportunity to meet our expert teaching staff and to take a look at our fantastic facilities – giving you a flavour of what it’s like to be a BMC student!
You can book a place here: (just remember to visit the Brooksby Campus, not the Melton Campus!)Register Now
Ready to apply?Apply Now
*Subject to validationView All Courses