Do you have a learning difficulty or disability? If the answer is yes then you can apply for Disabled Student Allowance. The grants help meet the needs of individual students and support them through their course. They are not based on income but individual needs, and are paid to the supplier of support and equipment provider.
Support could be from specialist tutors and/or assistive technology, for example
- Specialist software such as ‘Read’ and ‘Write Gold’, which helps with proof reading or ‘Dragon’, which is speech to text software
- One to one support
- Specialist support
Six simple steps to apply for a DSA:
- Fill in the application form. If you have completed an application form for Student Finance England and indicated that you want to apply for Disabled Student Allowance, they will send an application form to you. Or you can download a form from here
You must send some written evidence of your difficulty/disability to support your application. As soon as you have accepted your place at university you can apply for DSA.
- Find out if you qualify. Student Finance England will assess your application and send a letter to let you know if you qualify.
- Attend a needs assessment. If you are eligible for Disabled Student Allowance you will need to arrange a needs assessment to identify the support available to you.
- Receive your needs report. You will be sent a report which identifies the equipment and other support you will need, how much it will cost and where to get it from.
- Find out what the DSA can pay for. Your funding body will send you a letter to tell you whether any equipment and other support that has been recommended in your needs assessment can be paid for from DSAs. You will also be given instructions on how to order equipment or arranging other support.
- Receive your support. Your funding will be paid direct to the supplier of the equipment or service.
The Learning and Development team can help you with this process and provide you with one to one specialist support please contact us via email to dsa@brooksbymelton ac uk
NMH Central Database Template – Master
|Name of NMH Provider||Brooksby Melton College|
|Address||Melton Mowbray Campus, Asfordby Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 0HU|
|Contact Name(s)||Pauline Killoran|
|Rates last updated||2016|
Section 2 – Below is the standard NMH service and rates table to be displayed by NMH providers.
The table below shows NMH rates. The greyed out cells indicate that the institution does not offer these services. Also, for some services, there may be more than one provider. Where this is the case, each provider is listed along with their rates.
|Band 1 Support Assistants||Note below the NMH provider with whom the institution has an agreement in place with.||Net||VAT||Total|
|Practical Support Assistant|
|Library Support Assistant|
|Workshop / Laboratory Assistant|
|Band 2 Enhanced Support Assistants|
|Examination Support Worker|
|Manual Note Taker|
|Band 3 Specialist Enabling Support|
|Communication Support Worker|
|Electronic Note taker|
|Specialist Transcription Services|
|Band 4 Specialist Access and Learning Facilitators|
|Specialist One to One Study Skills Support||£60.50||N/A||£60.50|
|Language Support Tutor for deaf students|
|Assistive Technology Trainer|
For more information on the above bandings, please click on the below link:
To download the NMH Rates Table click here.
BA (Hons) Performing Arts student
“Having dyslexia and doing a degree, I found it such a challenge to organise myself. Without the help of the BMC Learning Development team, I would not have been able to get through the last year of the course. They were with me every step of the way, guiding me and helping me through my work. It takes me hours to read and work out the meaning of a text, but with the support team I was able to take it slow and understand in my own way what the text was saying. Big thanks to BMC for supporting my dyslexia, I would not have been able to do it without you.”
Emmanuel is now going to study at New York Film Academy for two years, to study acting for film.